The Mobilization Pyramid
Why we need to simplify
Enterprise mobile simplification is needed as an antidote to increasing complexity at three levels:
- Mobile device management, where we need to support new mobile platforms, including iOS and Android, not just the BlackBerry
- Off-the-shelf applications, where we see a massive increase in the number of business and productivity apps
- Custom enterprise mobile apps, where tablet devices like the iPad open up new possibilities to optimize our business processes
Like Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, mobilization needs in the enterprise can be represented in a multi-level pyramid. The needs at the first level of the pyramid must be addressed before we can solve the needs at the next level up, and so on.
Level 1: Mobile Device Management
At level 1, the mobile device management level, an increase in complexity is coming from multiple directions: not just new platforms but many more endpoints, plus increasing pressure to support users’ own personal devices.
Level 2: off-the-shelf apps
Complexity is increasing fast at the next level up in the pyramid, driven by the massive increase in the availability of mobile apps. This brings with it increased security risks and the new requirement to integrate these apps with existing enterprise systems.
Level 3: custom apps
While tablet devices create the opportunity for new and more efficient business processes at the top of the pyramid, this process redesign will bring risks and significant costs. We need to create custom enterprise mobile apps that run on multiple OS platforms and offer the same kind of reliability and resilience that we expect from mobile email today, without the complexity of native mobile development. These custom apps need much better user interfaces because user expectations have grown so much as consumer mobile technology has moved forward.
Simplify with Unplugged
Teamstudio’s Unplugged framework provides a simpler path to enterprise mobility, focussing on 4 critical aspects:
- Simplify by streamlining mobile device management
- Simplify mobile user interfaces
- Simplify through increased reliability and resilience of apps
- Simplify through re-use of technical skills
Download our white papers
For more insight on how to reduce mobile integration complexity, download Teamstudio’s “Mobile Integration, Simplified.” white papers, which can be downloaded here.